About Mary Burton
Mary Burton loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedures, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. When it comes to research, she’s known for taking a hands-on approach, whether it means interviewing professionals, attending forensic seminars or studying evidence collection and analysis.
Mary is routinely featured among the top ten writers in Amazon’s Author Rankings for suspense, romantic suspense and thrillers. Her recent titles The House Beyond the Dunes, The Lies I Told, Don’t Look Now, Near You, Never Look Back consistently rank high on the Kindle eBooks Store Bestseller List. She is a 2019 Montlake Romance Diamond Award winner signifying she’s reached one million readers.
Formerly a Richmond, Virginia native, Mary now resides on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. She’s a graduate of Virginia’s Hollins University, and she worked in marketing before her first book was published in 2000. Today she’s the author of thirty-nine published novels and five novellas as Mary Burton and ten works of contemporary fiction as Mary Ellen Taylor, including When the Rain Ends, The Brighter the Light, The Words We Whisper and Honeysuckle Season.
She is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and Novelists, Inc. When not on the road for research or visits with readers at bookstores, book festivals and conferences, Mary remains very much a homebody. She and her husband spend time alternately enjoying their empty nest and spoiling their four-legged babies Buddy and Tiki.
Additional Video Links
- Mary Burton on Suspense, Serial Killers and Hiding in Plain Site, 3/21/11
- Be Afraid, Virginia This Morning, WTVR-TV, 5/26/15 (Cooking!)
- You’re Not Safe, Virginia This Morning, WTVR-TV, 5/9/14
- No Escape, Virginia This Morning, WTVR-TV, 11/6/13
- The Seventh Victim, No Escape, You’re Not Safe with Kensington Books, 9/30/13
- Mary and her daughter talk about adoption, a recurring theme in Mary’s books, WWBT/NBC 12 News, 12/26/12
- On Writing Romantic Suspense with RT Book Reviews, 1/23/12
- Senseless and Merciless, Virginia This Morning, WTVR-TV, 2/24/11
- Mary Burton on Writing Suspense, 2/18/13